Memorial Day is fast approaching and the Jersey Shore is getting busy. Here are some things to do during the week of May 13-19, 2013.
There are plenty of events on Saturday, May 18:
- Toms River hosts the NJ State Chili & Salsa Cook 0ff, NJ’s original and hottest cook-off! The International Chili Society-sanctioned State competition runs 11am-5pm on Washington St.
- North Wildwood celebrates Captain Kidd Pirate Day. A pirate costume parade begins on 26th & the Boardwalk at 11am. Treasure hunt will follow at 19th & Beach, for children ages 12 and under.
- It’s also the Kick Off to Summer Family Fun Day in Pier Village (Long Branch), 10am-2:30pm. There are many activities, demonstrations, live entertainment, giveaways and prizes.
- And don’t miss the Ocean Grove Vintage Car Show with over 90 cars on display and live music on Main Avenue between 10am-4pm.
Then on Sunday, May 19, you can choose between:
- The 7th Annual Bluegrass & Barbecue Festival: Kick-off the summer at the Tuckerton Seaport with the down home sounds of bluegrass and the sweet smell of barbecue. There will be crafters, vendors, food, refreshments, family activities, demonstrations, decoy carvers, boat building and boat rides.
- Taste of Manasquan will give you the opportunity to visit about 25 eateries & sample Manasquan’s finest cuisines, 12-4pm.
Upcoming concerts at the Jersey Shore include:
- May 14: Soundgarden at MAC presented by 95.9 The Rat, 8pm at the MAC at Monmouth University in Long Branch.
- May 17: Trace Adkins at Caesar’s in Atlantic City, 9pm.
- May 22: Buckcherry @ Jenkinsons in Point Pleasant Beach, 6:30pm.
Finally here are some sporting events:
- Sunday, May 19, it’s the Ocean City Triathlon/Duathlon. 1/4 mile Swim/16M Bike/2M run, plus a kids course. Triathlon swim starts at 6am-8am. Run/Bike/Run duathlon starts at 9am.
- May 17-19 you can watch or attend the Northeast Regional Surfing Championships at the 40th St. Beach, in Sea Isle City, starting at 7am every day.
If you’re looking to rent a house at the shore, check out ShoreVacations.com, Jersey Shore’s biggest vacation rentals resource. It lists hundreds of rental homes and condos from Sandy Hook all the way down to Cape May (including Belmar, Point Pleasant, Seaside Heights, Ocean City, Long Beach Island, Atlantic City or the Wildwoods). It’s a one-stop website for planning your Jersey Shore vacation, featuring beach information, weather updates and more! And of course, it has a full list of all the Jersey Shore events this year.