The official start of Summer 2015 is almost here! The Memorial Day weekend brings the first big crowds to the Jersey Shore, and there are some cool events for everyone to enjoy. Here is our selection of the best things to do during the Memorial weekend:
1. Wildwoods International Kite Festival. Friday-Monday, on the Beach at Rio Grande Avenue and inside the Wildwoods Convention Center. America’s largest kite festival, featuring world-renowned kite builders and competitors, kite making workshops and exhibits, indoors competition and childrens activities. Events begin on Friday night at 9 pm with an Illuminated night kite fly.
2. Jersey Shore Food Truck Showdown. Saturday-Monday at the Monmouth Park Racetrack. Sample delights from the most popular Food Trucks. This event will also feature crafters, vendors, and live music
3. Unlocking of the Ocean and Business Persons Plunge on Friday, May 22 in Ocean City. This is just a cool sight, with participants dressing in business suits, carrying brief cases and marching into the ocean to the strains of Pomp and Circumstance to welcome the new season. Noon, Moorlyn Terrace St Beach.
4. The Who Hits 50. Friday at the Atlantic City Boardwalk Hall, 7:30pm. One of rock’s most legendary and defining bands will celebrate their 50-year legacy when they bring their tour to AC. Joan Jett and The Blackhearts will join as special guests.
5. Spring Lake 5-Mile Run on Saturday, May 23. A fast USATF certified course, with thousands of runners along the shore. Start at 8:30am.
6. 3rd Annual 31 Heroes Memorial Beach Challenge on Saturday in Ocean City. The race will consist of team and individual entrants in three separate events – The Stand Up Paddle Ocean Challenge, A SEAL Team – approved Obstacle Course Challenge and a Kids Fun Run as well as a Patriot Ceremony to honor our veterans and fallen warriors. 7:30am at 8th St. beach.
7. Jane Seymour Art Exhibition in Stone Harbor ends this weekend. Actress and artist Jane Seymour visits the Ocean Galleries during the Memorial Day weekend, with all artwork on display available for acquisition.
8. Highlands Seaport Craft Show on Sunday 10am-5pm in Huddy Park. Delightful collections of various handmade crafts from more than 60 crafters and artisans.
9. Manasquan Memorial Day Celebration on Saturday, with a 7:30 p.m. concert at the Main Beach and a fireworks display at dusk.
If you’re looking to rent a house at the shore, check out ShoreVacations.com, Jersey Shore’s biggest vacation rentals resource. It lists hundreds of rental homes and condos from Sandy Hook all the way down to Cape May (including Belmar, Point Pleasant, Seaside Heights, Ocean City, Long Beach Island, Atlantic City or the Wildwoods). It’s a one-stop website for planning your Jersey Shore vacation, featuring beach information, weather updates and more! And of course, it has a full list of all the Jersey Shore events this year.